Well another year has bitten the dust and as of 5 hours ago, 2016 started.
So HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!
Hopefully 2015 was a great year for you. 2015 wasn’t the best year for me. It was really busy and a little sad, well scary to be honest. We moved house in Feb, which alone is a huge task. The kids who were already at school, started new schools which they struggled with at first, thankfully they are settled in now. My twin girls started school, and if that wasn’t enough they went to separate schools. I was unsure that my husband and I had made the right decision, but it turns out it was the best thing for both girls. They have become closer.
In May my parents, who I hadn’t seen for about 3 years come over to Australia from New Zealand for a holiday. The two weeks before hand my dad got sick and landed in hospital. My parents were worried that they would have to cancel their trip, but in the end my dad was well enough to travel. But with in days of landing here, he fell sick again and landed in hospital. It was bad, my dad and my family thought he was going to die. It was hard on my mom, me, my family and my siblings who were in Perth and back in New Zealand. My dad was transferred to a bigger hospital to be operated on, but then told they weren’t going to do it. They wanted to try another approach which turned out to be the approach he had been treated with for the last three weeks. Another doctor decided to operated, and luckily they did. Turns out things were worse than they thought.
My mom flew back a few days afterwards, not by choice, while my dad recovered in hospital and at my house. When it was time for him to fly home, I went back with him to help out. My dad is on the mend, and expected to have another operation soon.
That sort of clouded the rest of my year. I missed a deadline to submit a manuscript to win a 1 out of 5 chance of having my book published. I struggled to write or do anything writing related. I just sort of muddled along. In October I started to get back into the swing of things. And right now I am looking forward to starting fresh in 2016.
Well like many other people around the world, I’m going to be posting my new year resolutions. This year, unlike every other year, I hope to keep them and not fail. You can check in on me in June, when I will be updating my resolutions.
What are my resolutions?
- Updating this blog regularly. I want to keep this blog going and hopefully start getting a following. So far I have roughly planned out what I want to post and when I want to post it. Here are my ideas:
- My New Year Resolutions – which is completed as you can see.
- Updated New Year Resolutions in June. (Keep an eye out for that)
- Writing Dabbles – once a week, I will post a couple paragraphs of what I have been writing.
- Monthly Goals – on the first of the month, I want to post what i have achieved of the previous months goals, the current months writing goals, the current months health goals, and any workshops I hope to be doing.
- My Manuscript Updates – Every three months, I want to do an updated post about what manuscripts I am currently working on, and what plans I have for my other manuscripts.
- The Odd Book Review – I love to read, and my old blog I use to do book reviews at least weekly if not three times a week. This year, I’m planning to do one every now and then. It’s not that I don’t want to but I want this blog to be more about my writing.
- Write every day. I want to hand write every day in a fresh new notebook. Hopefully a page, if not a couple of paragraphs. I am hoping that by the end of 2016 it will be a well worn habit. Why? Well I know that the only way my writing is going to get better is if I write every day.
- Work on my manuscripts at least 5 hours a day, 5 days a week. In the past I have looked at writing as a hobby, while hoping to get published. But now I realized that to get published, I need to treat my writing as a job. So that is what I am planning.
- Keep on reading. They say to improve your writing, you need to read what is out there. I am a regular reader, so this should be an easy goal for me.
- Do one workshop a month at Savvy Authors. I stopped doing workshops, I am not quite sure why, but I want to start again.
- YA Avengers. I want, well need to participate more in my critique group YA Avengers. Our group has been a bit quiet in 2015, so I am hoping with the new changes to Savvy Authors that our group becomes busy again.
- Finish a manuscript completely.
- Rewrite a manuscript.
- Do the 3 pass edits for a manuscript.
- Pitch a manuscript.
- Sell a manuscript.
- Be published.
- Get healthy
- Walk at least 5 days a week. I want to lose weight, and I know walking is the way I can do this. Not only that I enjoy to walk. So over 2016 I want to make walking at least 5 days a week a habit.
- Hit my weight targets. I think this goes without saying that I am very overweight. My overall goal is to get within my BMI. I know this will take time, and I won’t necessarily achieve it in 2016 but I want to be well on my way by December.
- Get down to my goal size. I plan to work more on getting to my goal size of a size 12. I know that when you work towards this that you build muscle which then effects your weight. So i might not get down to my overall goal weight but I want to at least be a size 12 or smaller.
- Stay on the Trim Healthy Mother Plan. This plan seems to work for me, so i want to stick with it over 2016. The food is great and to me its not really a diet, just a way of living.
- Manage to walk 1km in 8 – 9 minutes. At the moment i manage to walk 1km in 10 minutes and 50 seconds. They say fast is about 7mins. So i think 8-9 minutes is achievable for me.
- Manage to walk 12km regularly. Like i said, i love walking, so I want to walk regularly and keep walking once I lose all this weight. Over all I would love to be able to walk 12km every time. Well try to without feeling like I did to much or my body can’t handle it.
- Sign up and do the 2016 colour run. It’s 5km and meant to be a heap of fun.
- Do some sort of walking/running event in 2016. Maybe – Sussan Women’s Fun Run which is in December.
- Sign up for the 2017 ‘Weekend to End All Womens Cancers’ event, where you walk 60ks over two days in April 2017.
And that’s it so far. I might add some more down the track…
I hope you have a great 2016.